Stabile, an avid outdoorsman with a passion for surfing, snowboarding and fishing, had returned home when he began suffering a severe headache while mowing his lawn on September 16, loved ones said.
Naegleria fowleri is a deadly brain-eating amoeba-and not the kind of thing you want to come in contact with.
Stabile was remembered as an avid outdoors lover who loved to surf and snowboard. He died at a hospital in Atlantic City on September 21.
The CDC has already collected water samples and is seeking to have results by the end of the week.
However, people will not be infected by Naegleria fowleri by drinking contaminated water. People can become infected if water contaminated with the amoeba goes up their nose.
Symptoms of Naegleria fowleri include headache, fever, nausea or vomiting and usually start one to nine days after the initial infection.
According to the CDC, Naegleria fowleri can cause a rare infection of the brain called primary amoebic meningoencephalitis.
The wave generating pool is now shut while the U.S. authorities carry out tests.
The owner of the BSR Surf Resort, Stuart Parsons said that "the BSR Surf Resort values the safety of our guests from Texas and all over the United States and we strive to provide the safest environment for our patrons to enjoy all of our facilities". The CDC notes that, on average, death occurs within one to 18 days of initial symptoms. Only four people out of 143 have survived infection in the USA from 1962 to 2017, the CDC said.
Since the microscopic amoeba enters your body through your nose, experts advise people to avoid swimming underwater and diving in warm water bodies, especially during the late summer months.
She said the CDC would work with the local health department on recommendations for how the park can reduce potential exposures, the Tribune reported.
In one week, almost $23,000 has been raised to start the Fabrizio Stabile Foundation for Naegleria Fowleri Awareness, according to the GoFundMe page.